Thursday, October 14, 2010

Gearing up for Winter - DIY coat rack ideas

I have written a draft the last few days, never wanting to publish what I've written. I'm not sure of what to write.

Looking for jobs is exhausting emotionally. Some days I am so tired by the end of the day. Why it is so difficult?

We are winterizing our house this week. It's getting cold enough at night that we now keep all of the windows closed and I have turned on our gas fire place at least once each day. It still is around 70 in the afternoon, so the days here are just beautiful.

Yesterday we drained our sprinklers, drained and covered our swamp cooler, and removed the cooling fan from the bedroom. Before the first frost I need to cut back the roses and plant my tulip and daffodil bulbs. I will try to get around to that this weekend while Landon is climbing Indian Creek but my rose bushes are just beautiful right now so I've been putting it off. We need to do a few more things to close out the cool air and get the furnace ready but we're almost there. We saw a mouse in the house 3 weeks ago, which makes me wonder how many we have now that the weather is getting colder. I try not to think about it.

I am in desperate search for a very cheap coat rack and I'm contemplating creating my own. We need this soon. This house has only 2 closets total and one of them is not a hall coat closet and I have already found myself throwing my fleeces on the back of the couch or on the back of the kitchen chairs. Besides this being sloppy, we really need a coat rack once we come home with snow-soiled things from brilliant ski days. I also need to find a place for our box of winter woolens and I can't remember if I washed them at the end of the season last year.

Mornings are cold already. Yesterday when I went outside to let Duvick out of his kennel I could see my breath in the air, and the thermometer read 37 degrees. No frost yet, though, which is good. So we still have yellowing leaves on the trees. The Autumn seems to last a little longer here than in Colorado. Maybe it's because our elevation is a bit lower. It's nice, though.

Fun DIY Coat Rack ideas I found online:
By Kate and Design Sponge

From Apartment Therapy


from a beach cottage only I think it would be fun with an old ski

kind of like this one from Orvis ($150)

and I really like this one.
also from Orvis ($800)

another one from Kate at design sponge
this is probably something that is more in my scheme of creativity. And I love the mis-matched hooks

Do you have any ideas?

5 comments:

kris said...

we had frost on the car windows this morning :) winter is coming, brrr...

Sarah said...

How random! I was looking at the Eddie Bauer home catalog this morning and saw a vertical vintage snowski coat rack and thought, "I bet Hannah McB would like something like that" and then you have almost the exact picture on your blog today! Crazy! I bet you could find old skis at thrift store or pawn shops and recreate the vertical or horizontal version.

I heard a term the other day, "lattice of coincidence" and I think that's what happened with us today!

Happy winterization - we'll be doing that this weekend too.

Hannah said...

sarah, that's crazy! how funny. thanks for thinking of me, girl.

Brooke Hereth said...

so your not coming to the mtns? bummer. miss you with all my heart! i think about you like so much. hehe(;

Anonymous said...

These are all very cute - and I think I like that last one the best also - just because of those odd hooks. My husband and daughter drape their sweaters and coats over the dining room chairs. It's a central location. Sloppy but then nobody really sees it but us homebodies.
Maybe I could find a place for a rack and see if they'll use it.